Captain Eric Lacewell suffered a life altering injury from a fall while on duty at Wilmington Fire Station 10. Members of his crew rendered medical aid and he was transported to the hospital. He was paralyzed from the neck down as a result of the fall.
Eric passed away from those injuries two years later on November 4, 2014. He started his career in 1987. He was a 24 year member of the department.
Captain Lacewell was known for the smile he always had on his face and his commitment to the community that he served. Captain Lacewell's legacy is honored each year at the Lacewell Memorial Golf Tournament that raises funds to support a variety of community outreach programs. Each year $2000 of the proceeds from the golf tournament are given to the New Hanover County Firefighter's Association to provide scholarships for full and part-time students.
Below you will find a list of just some of the community outreach programs that the foundation regulary supports:
- Sponsoring teams for cystic fibrosis fundraiser
- Easter baskets- Fire Headquarters
- Sponsoring families for Christmas – Station 7
- Children’s fire and education day in Maides Park – Station 3
- Adopting a family for Christmas – Fire Headquarters
- Sponsoring event for Bitty & Beau’s – Station 10
- Support of The Literacy Council
- Supporting A Safe Place
- Donations to families for Christmas
- Wilmington Firefighters Fitness Challenge – Proceeds directly fund a NC-529 education plan for a local child affected by a family tragedy
- Purchasing toys to support the annual Toys-4-Tots program